JOB TITLE: SPECIALIST BIOMEDICAL SCIENTIST – HISTOLOGY
RESPONSIBLE TO: HISTOLOGY MANAGER
ACCOUNTABLE TO: LABORATORY OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
JOB SUMMARY: To assist in the smooth running of the laboratory and timely provision of a high quality histopathology service. The primary working relationships will be with the Histology Manager, and the histology staff. To undertake additional duties as specified.
1. To ensure that the specimens are received, booked in, cut-up, processed, cut, stained and dispatched as required to the highest standards, and within agreed turn around times.
2. To participate in the workload and assist in controlling the quality and accuracy of the work output.
3. To ensure that all samples are archived regularly and accurately.
4. To undertake any training courses as considered necessary.
5. To use and maintain any equipment within histology in compliance with the policy of the department.
6. To be aware of, and comply at all times with Health and Safety regulations and safe laboratory procedures.
7. Participate in specimen dissection (subject to competency and training).
8. To take part in an annual staff appraisal.