Job Title: Senior BMS IHC
Reports & Accountable To: Histology Lead
• Responsible for the day to day running of the Immunohistochemistry section, including the day to day management of Biomedical Scientists and support staff working in the section
• Supervise and perform investigations of varying complexity, this includes both routine and specialist work
• Ensure the highest scientific standards are maintained and contribute to the improvement of technical and scientific standards within the department
• To work with laboratory management to develop, review and update Standard Operational Procedures in the department, to encompass suggested improvements and changes in practice or guidelines
• Demonstrate extensive knowledge use of personal judgement based on advanced experience and knowledge to ensure correct decisions are made by Biomedical Scientists and support staff
• Responsible for sample receipt and handling, according to departmental and Divisional policies
• Responsible for sample preparation and reagent preparation following department standard operating procedures
• Responsible for the preparation of control tissue for immunohistochemistry
• Responsible for the performance of Immunohistochemistry in accordance with departmental standard operating procedures
• Responsible for the referral of tissue blocks and slides to other hospitals and for requesting archive material from off-site storage
• Monitor use of reagents and consumables and ensure stock levels are maintained to ensure continuous service
• Troubleshoot, repair and maintain specialist equipment for correct operation, keeping it optimal condition for use and making fine adjustments as necessary. Liaise with commercial partners to ensure continuous operation of essential equipment.
• To ensure appropriate error logging by staff in Immunohistochemistry
• To participate in and monitor internal and external Quality Assurance and Quality Control activities and take corrective action where work fails to meet the necessary standards.
• Assist in the achievement of all key performance indicators (e.g.TATs)
• Support the maintenance of ISO 15189 accreditation within the laboratory, with the support of the department quality lead/manager
• To support the departmental quality lead/manager and ensure risk assessments are completed for the immunohistochemistry section together with management of appropriate risks within this area
• To carry out audits according to the departmental audit schedule, in a timely fashion and undertake any remedial action as required
• Regularly review own practices and make changes in accordance with current and/or best practice, makes suggestions for improved practice and identifies where other activities affect own practice
• To ensure all Biomedical Scientist and support staff receive the required training and regular competency assessments in all task they undertake
• To undertake appropriate and relevant CPD and encourage all other staff to do likewise
The duties and responsibilities described in this Job Description are intended to be indicative but not exhaustive of the responsibilities of the post holder. As the organisation develops, the requirements of the job may change and the post holder is expected to adapt to these changes.